Legally Momming: The Week That Shall Not Be Named

'Legally Momming' is a column by our resident attorney mama Melissa Keyes

For those of you keeping track, I was recently on maternity leave. Last week (henceforth known as “the week that shall not be named”) was my first week back and was a hot mess that any mom can relate to.

On Monday, I couldn’t face the first day care drop-off – the ugly crying, and oh the guilt. So my amazing husband did the honors and didn’t give me grief when I asked him no less than ten times if he would remember to bring the breastmilk in the freezer. Thankfully, my day care knows a thing or two about type-A moms and sent me lots of photos and updates throughout the day. She seemed happy. I was cool. I got this.

Tuesday, I was ready to go – my first day in the actual office. I was excited to get my space organized and was looking forward to getting back in the groove. That is, until, I got the call that every mom dreads – the school nurse. Given that it was only 8:30 in the morning and my husband had just dropped our kid off at school 15 minutes ago, my mind immediately went into panic mode involving maiming or loss of limb. No, my child had “thrown up” (turns out he hocked a loogie on the floor and called it throwup – thanks, kid) and even though he didn’t have a fever and didn’t complain of feeling ill – school policy says he must be out for 24 hours.

I was stuck. My husband was in a hearing and I still had the baby in the car on my way to drop her off – the ball fell in my court. There was nothing I could do. There was no one I could be mad at – it’s no one’s fault. But still, I was pissed. I rescheduled my meetings and headed to school to pick up a non-sick “sick” kid. I was frustrated. It was a long day, punctuated with pb&j making and multiple episodes of PJ Masks. It was one of those days where you feel like you’re spinning your wheels and going no where.

Wednesday and Thursday, thankfully, were much better and I started to get into a rhythm. When another mom’s worst enemy showed up – the dreaded snow day. This was especially pernicious because it was followed by a holiday on Monday of the next week making this an impromptu four-day weekend. Luckily my husband was around so I could actually work, but there were still interruptions.

From a mom’s perspective, this week would never end. It was the week that shall not be named and I. Was. Over. It. This is not an article with any sage advice or thoughts to provoke, other than to say that sometimes being a mom is hard and you just have to suck it up, pull up your big girl panties and get through it.